My truth seeking journey has blessed me with diverse training and experience. I began taking yoga classes at age 10 with my mother and fondly remember Maddie, my our first teacher. Since then I have been consciously connecting with breath and in 1992 I certified as a Rebirthing Breathworker in NYC. There, my international energywork, breathwork and bodywork career began.
I have trained and worked in the USA, UK, Ireland, France and Germany. And as a long time student of Hatha, Kundalini Yoga, Laughter Yoga, Shamanism and Ceramics, my journey and training continues along the Medicine Wheel of life.
I also presently work with fellow musicians and artists at Sliabh Beagh Community Arts, bringing The Arts, Laughter Yoga, Music therapy and Clay Therapy to senior centres, community groups, schools, local festivals and events in my area.
Kundalini Yoga & Mindfulness
When you become aware of yourself from the inside out, when you can learn to change your attitude from something unhappy to happy—this is what is called awareness in yoga, or mindfulness.
In yoga, we talk about being aware and being mindful. Curious to see the similarities and differences in definition.
Awareness: The state or ability to perceive, to feel, or to be conscious of events, objects or sensory patterns. According to 20thcentury spiritual writer and leader, Jiddhu Krishnamurti, choiceless awareness is the state of unpremeditated, complete awareness of the present without preference, effort, or compulsion.
Mindfulness: The self-regulation of attention so that it is maintained on immediate experience, [followed by] adopting a particular orientation toward one’s experiences in the present moment, an orientation that is characterized by curiosity, openness, and acceptance.
In everyday language it can play out this way:
• Whatever situation you find yourself in, you have thoughts and feelings about it.
• In being mindful of thoughts and feelings in the moment, you cultivate self-awareness.
• Self-awareness strengthens focus, which leads to the ability to direct thoughts and feelings.
• With conscious direction of your thoughts and feelings, you can move into something that feels better.
• When you feel better, your energetic response, or vibration to life is more positive.
• When your vibration is positive, you are more closely aligned with your happy, radiant, authentic Self.
• The energy or vibration you send out is like a signal that attracts other similar frequencies, so your life improves in quality as you attract people and circumstances that are more aligned with your happy, authentic Self.
• This wonderful chain of events is sparked by simple mindfulness/awareness in the moment!
Once on the path to conscious living, whatever path you chose, you begin elevating your consciousness. This is “the Kundalini rising”. Whether through yoga classes or meditation or breathwork, this raising of the Kundalini energy starts its journey up the spine.
There is no more powerful and quicker way to start the process to obtain consciousness than through the practice of Kundalini yoga. Consciousness is about clarity of decisions… you know when and how to make a move without confusion and judgement. You are in the flow of the universe and do not limit yourself.
The practice of Kundalini yoga uses the technology of mantra and meditation to still the mind, a physical set or kriya, to get you moving and the breath or pranayama to balance the chakras and stimulate the meridians.
Laughter Yoga is the art of Laughter and the science of breathing combined. It is breathing exercises combined with unconditional laughing exercises to bring awareness or consciousness present into our life.
Rebirthing aka Intuitive Energy Breathing or Conscious Energy Breathing, is the most natural healing ability of all. This ability involves merging the inhale with the exhale in a gentle relaxed rhythm in an intuitive way that floods the body with Divine Energy.
Connecting with the Breath is the path. Prana or energy is carried on the breath. Once in connection, therefore control of our breath, we have the key to awareness.